Monday, August 14, 2006

The following is an excerpt from yesterday's column Moments of Fr. Jerry Orbos, SVD published in the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

What “bread” are we feeding our children?

For many households, the most available, the most convenient “bread” is that which comes from television.

Here’s a modern-day translation of Psalm 23:

“The TV is my shepherd,
I shall not want,
it makes me lie down in the sofa,
it leads me away from the faith,
it destroys my soul.

It leads me in the path of sex and violence
for the sponsor’s sake.
Yeah, though I walk in the shadow of Christian responsibilities,
there will be no interruptions, for the TV is with me.
Its cable and remote control—they comfort me.

It prepares a commercial before me
in the presence of my worldliness;
it anoints my head with humanism and consumerism.
My coveting runneth over,
surely laziness and ignorance shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house watching TV forever.”


Let us be sure to nourish ourselves from the Lord's table with the finest of wheat, so that we in turn may become bread to feed the hungry of the world who long, not only for food, but for God's Word.