Day 8: Companions in the Fellowship of the Son
Day 8 Companions in the Fellowship of the Son
Take and Receive (Manoling Francisco, SJ or Fruto Ramirez, SJ) or
Panginoon ay Purihin (Silvino Borres, SJ – Nemy Que, SJ)
INTRODUCTION TO THE CELEBRATION
P. In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
If the presider is a priest or deacon:
P. The Lord be with you.
A. And also with you.
The first companions, Ignatius, Francis and Peter, united themselves under the standard of Christ and embraced his Name as their own. As the Apostle exhorted, whatever they did, whether in word or in action, they did in the Name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Col 3: 17)
A moment of silence is observed.
PRAYER OF PRAISE
P. Though he was in the form of God, Jesus did not deem equality with God,
something to be grasped at.
A. Rather he emptied himself, and took the form of a slave,
Being born in the likeness of men.
P. He was known to be human estate,
and it was thus that he humbled himself
obediently accepting death, death on a cross!
A. Because of this, God highly exalted him
And bestowed on him the name above every other name.
P. So that at Jesus’ name every knee must bend in the heavens,
on the earth, and under the earth
A. And every tongue proclaim to the glory of God the Father
JESUS CHRIST IS LORD! (Philippians 2: 6-11)
P. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
A. As it was in the beginning is now and will be for ever. Amen.
GRACE OF THE DAY
We beg for the grace always to remain united in Christ, serving under his banner, bearing the saving Name of Jesus to all.
From the first letter of Paul to the Corinthians 1: 4-10
Called into the fellowship of the Son
We give thanks to God always for you because of the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus, that in every way you were enriched in him with all speech and all knowledge -- even as the testimony to Christ was confirmed among you --so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ; who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. I appeal to you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree and that there be no dissensions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.
In Him Alone (Manoling Francisco, SJ) or Hesus ng Aking Buhay (Arnel Aquino, SJ) or
Pagsibol (Arnel Aquino, SJ)
The meditation song may be preceded or replaced by a homily or sharing, or a period of silent prayer.
There was another question that was also the subject of their debate and its outcome would mark the group’s history. What would they answer if someone asked them who they were? They would say that they were the Society of Jesus. “Since they did not have anyone among them as their head, and no other leader except Jesus Christ, whom alone they wished to serve, it seemed good to them that they should be named after the one who was their head, by calling themselves the Society of Jesus.” (Ignacio Echaniz, SJ, Passion and Glory: A flesh-and blood history of the Society of Jesus. Vol 1: Spring, 1529-1581. India: Gujarat Sahitya Prakash, 1999. p. 28)
Please refer to First Day.
Christ our Lord promised that the Father would grant all that we ask in his Name. Let us pray to the Father of Jesus, confident that he will give us all that we ask in His Name:
R. Father, hear us for the love you bear your Son.
1. For our Holy Father, N., Vicar of Christ. That his life and ministry may announce to all the salvation and compassion of Jesus. Let us pray to the Lord.
2. For all world leaders. That they may work together for justice and peace and come to the aid of the poor and the destitute. Let us pray to the Lord.
3. For our Society that bears the name of Jesus. That we may follow in the example of Christ our Lord who became a humble servant and laid down his life for the salvation of the world. Let us pray to the Lord.
4. For aged Jesuits. That the Lord may comfort and ease them in their old-age with the grace and consolations of his Holy Name. Let us pray to the Lord.
5. For departed Jesuits. That the Lord may claim them as his own before the throne of his heavenly Father. Let us pray to the Lord.
6. For those who do not believe in Christ or have not yet received the Good News. That the witness and example of believers everywhere may help them see and feel his saving love that they too may believe. Let us pray to the Lord.
7. For all of us gathered here. That we who bear the name of Christian may be configured to Christ in charity and justice. Let us pray to the Lord.
God our Father, you placed your servant Ignatius with Christ your Son and honored our least Society with the saving Name of Jesus. May we who serve under the standard of Christ, persevere in holiness and merit a place in your Kingdom.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus the Lord.